The Commonwealth History Fund was established by the Virginia Museum of History & Culture to support and encourage meaningful history education and preservation projects throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Made possible by generous funding from Dominion Energy and others, the Fund is designed to provide grants of approximately $400,000 per year and nearly $2,000,000 overall in its first five years of operation.
Eligible Projects include but are not limited to:
- Restoration, rehabilitation, and other related building and construction projects
- Preservation projects
- Research and documentation
- Publications and exhibitions
- Acquisition of property, land, and objects
- Landscape or infrastructure improvements
Eligible grantees include Virginia non-profit, tax exempt organizations (501)(c)(3), state and federally recognized American Indian tribes, and local government agencies. Political/partisan organizations or projects for religious purposes are not eligible.
The VMHC will receive applications for funding for its third annual grant cycle September 1 through September 30, 2023. Awards will be announced in early 2024.
2024 Grant Guidelines and Application
Questions? Please email HistoryFund@VirginiaHistory.org.
- Award recipients for year 2 were announced in February 2023. Read the Press Release. | View Recipients.
- Award recipients for the inaugural year were publicly announced in July 2022. Read the Press Release | View the Facebook album
- Read the inaugural Commonwealth History Fund announcement press release.