To ensure a positive guest experience for all, we ask guests to observe and adhere to the following rules while at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture (VMHC):
- All guests must bring and wear a face covering/mask when in the museum and give best effort to maintain a safe distance from others not in their party.
- Guests should not come to the museum if they have knowingly been exposed to COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms similar to those associated with COVID-19.
- Appropriate attire, including shirt and shoes, is required.
- Smoking and use of electronic cigarettes are not permitted.
- Eating or drinking, with the exception of clear bottled water, is not permitted in most museum galleries, except where noted. Chewing gum and other candy is not permitted.
- Animals, other than designated service animals, are not permitted.
- While personal photography is encouraged, selfie sticks and tripods are prohibited. Video or audio recording of live programming is not permitted unless otherwise noted. All professional photography or videography without prior VMHC approval is restricted; to apply for approval, please contact Emily Lucier, Manager of Public Relations & Marketing, at [email protected].
- Sporting activity (i.e. frisbees, footballs, and hacky sacks) is not permitted without prior approval from VMHC.
- Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones), or any similar remote-controlled vehicles/flying devices, is not permitted without prior VMHC approval; to apply for approval, please contact Emily Lucier, Manager of Public Relations & Marketing, at [email protected].
- Bags larger than 16x16x8 inches are prohibited. All bags are subject to inspection. Guests who refuse inspection of parcels will be restricted from entering the property. Lockers are available for use free of charge.
- The following items are strictly prohibited:
- Weapons/firearms (except qualified law enforcement)
- Knives/blades longer than 3.5 inches
- Clubs, hammers, martial arts devices, and related items
- Flammable liquids and gases of more than 0.5 oz
- Fireworks, ammunitions, explosive devices, and related materials
- Paint and related marking materials; spray cans and other aerosols
- Other items deemed dangerous, suspicious, or inappropriate by VMHC personnel
- Additional regulations apply in the Research Library
- Inappropriate treatment, including unwelcome conduct, of guests or any VMHC representative (staff and volunteers), whether verbal, physical, or visual, is not permitted. Use or display of obscene or abusive language is not permitted.
- Engaging in disorderly conduct or participating in unauthorized assemblies or protest (to include use of flags or banners) is not permitted. Displaying signs or distributing solicitations, advertisements, or other materials without prior VMHC approval is prohibited.
Thank you for your cooperation. Failure to observe these guidelines may result in denial of access. If you have a question about these guidelines, please contact [email protected].