Digital Scans & Reproductions
Digital Scans & Reproductions
At the Virginia Museum of History & Culture, we offer many options for digital scans and reproductions. Learn about the services we offer and their cost.
Scans cost $20 for the first ten exposures, $30 for up to 40 exposures, and $60 for up to 80 exposures. We will contact you within four to six business days with the price of the scans you have requested. VMHC Members receive a 10% discount on photocopy orders. (Not a member? Join here!)
With your scan request, please include:
- a brief description of the item
- the manuscript or call number
- page numbers (if possible)
A copy of the order will be generated and sent to you via email with the procedures for ordering and payment. Once the order form and payment are received, your order will receive our prompt attention.
If you require basic digitized images of materials suitable for research, please contact the Reference staff directly at email@example.com. If you require high-resolution images of materials (suitable for publication) or photographic prints, please use the Photo Order Form.
Our Research staff can provide a moderate amount of research (maximum of one hour) for a prepaid fee of $30. This includes a limited number of digital snapshots. This fee is nonrefundable, and research results are not guaranteed. Please contact Dr. William Rasmussen at wrasmussen@VirginiaHistory.org or 804.342.9663 for more information.
Photographs may be delivered in a digital format or as a photographic print. All prints are made on 100 percent cotton rag acid-free paper with 100-year archival inks and matte finish. Images will be printed in color unless alternative treatments are specifically requested at the time of the order.
For photographs of museum items, please provide the title, artist, and accession number, if available. For manuscripts or library items, please provide call number, title, author, and date, if known.
Before placing your order, you may want to review:
- fees for image reproduction
- standard uses fees
- additional uses
- conditions of use for images
- credit line
- shipping options
- timetable for standard and rush orders
After you submit your request, you will receive an automatically generated e-mail that summarizes the order as entered in the online form and lists the conditions of use to which you are agreeing. Our Research team will then prepare and send your invoice. Once payment is received, your order will be produced and shipped. Please contact Andrew Foster at afoster@VirginiaHistory.org or 804.342.9680 with any questions.
The VMHC reserves the right to decline requests for reproductions.
All files are sized to a minimum of 8" x 10". Higher resolution files are available upon request but may incur a new scan fee.
|300 dpi JPEG: $35||This high resolution file size is ideal for making a print. This selection serves most users' needs and is the most frequently requested file size.|
|300 dpi TIFF: $35||This uncompressed high resolution file size is ideal for publication. Also consider this option if a detail of an image needs to be examined.|
|Higher resolution files||Available upon request. Additional fees may apply.|
|New digitization: additional $15||This fee will be charged if the item requested has not already been digitized or if extraordinary resolution is requested.|
All prints are made on 100 percent cotton rag acid-free paper with 100-year archival inks and matte finish. Images will be printed in color unless alternative treatments are specifically requested at the time of the order.
|$45||8" x 10" photographic prints|
|$60||11" x 14" photographic prints|
|$100||16" x 20" photographic prints|
|Please contact us for pricing.||Larger prints are available upon request|
Orders that require new digitization may take longer than the standard time.
|$15||New digital photograph or scan.|
|$100||Special set-up for items that require special handling*|
* Three dimensional objects and items requiring special handling
Three dimensional objects or items larger than 31 x 24 inches may require a special photography set-up. The society reserves the right to charge additional fees on a case-by-case basis to cover any extraordinary circumstances. Any additional fees will be communicated to and agreed to by the patron before work begins. The society reserves the right to restrict the reproduction of materials in our care on the basis of condition and preservation concerns.
The VMHC reserves the right to deny permission to use images.
|Use||Purpose||Fee (B/W)||Fee (Color)|
|Non-profit (including academic presses with a print run less than 5,000)||Book||$30||$50|
|Commercial (including academic presses with a print run more than 5,000)||Book||$75||$150|
* For a single image used in a single project that is provided in different formats, including book, periodical, e-book, website (subject to limitations on image quality), and CD / DVD.
- Most images may be used in non-profit museum exhibitions or displays, but permission must be requested through the Photo Order Form. Use fees are usually waived. Fees for images may apply.
Thesis / dissertation / school paper / classroom use
- Although permission must be obtained to use an image in a school paper, master's thesis, or dissertation, fees are usually waived. Likewise, fees are waived for educational classroom use. Fees for images may apply.
- Reusing an image in a new edition or a new project constitutes a re-use. All requests for re-use or change in use must be applied for using the Photo Order Form.
Decoration in a public space / Moving picture / Product line / Other uses
- Rates for uses not listed in this schedule will be quoted upon request. The society reserves the right to charge special fees for unlisted uses as determined on a case-by-case basis. All fees listed are subject to change. Fees for non-exclusive, world, and/or multiple language rights will be quoted upon request.
1. Images provided for personal or research use may be copied to another medium for study purposes but may not be otherwise reproduced by the patron photographically or digitally without written permission of the Virginia Museum of History & Culture (VMHC).
2. Only professionally produced images of items in the VMHC collection are permitted for public presentation. VMHC digital snapshots are not professionally produced and therefore are not to be used in any publication or on the internet.
3. Requests for permission to reproduce an image must be made by submitting a completed copy of the VMHC Image Order Form. Permission forms issued by other entities will not be used.
4. An image can be used only once for the purpose(s) listed in the Image Order Form. All permissions are issued for the life of a project or program. A second use of the image in any one project or program constitutes a separate use. Additionally, each media in which the image appears constitutes a separate use, including book, periodical, dust jacket or cover, brochure, broadcast video, recorded video/DVD, streaming video, CD/DVD, E-book, or web site. Different versions produced simultaneously, such as textbooks for different jurisdictions, would count as one use. Any editions produced at a later time would constitute a separate use and must be applied for in writing.
5. The following is the basic credit line for all images unless otherwise specified: Virginia Museum of History & Culture. When provided, the photographer's name must be used in the credit line. We ask that you follow these guidelines:
• Printed materials: credit line should be easily accessible
• Film, broadcast or video productions: include credit within the "Sources for Illustrations" or "Credits" section of the production
• Exhibitions: credit should appear in the exhibition area, preferably directly below or adjacent to the image
• Website: credit must be placed adjacent to the image along with a link to the VMHC's web site, www.virginiahistory.org
6. The VMHC must be given one complimentary copy of any published work, including book, periodical, video, DVD or CD in which the image appears. The VMHC must be provided with the web site address for images posted on the internet.
7. The accompanying caption or label should indicate any and all changes or alterations that have been made to the original copy, including cropping, tinting, or detailing.
8. Only photographic prints or 300 dpi (or higher) scans will be licensed for publication use. The VMHC provides 72 dpi scans for personal or web site use only.
9. Images posted on the internet will be no larger than 72 dpi and 600 x 400 pixels. The VMHC reserves the right to request the removal of its images from any web site.
10. The licensee or publisher cannot give permission to others to reproduce the image or any facsimile of it.
11. The VMHC reserves the right to refuse to accept a reproduction order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law. The granting of permission to publish by the VMHC does not absolve users of materials from securing permission from copyright owners and payment of such additional fees as the owners may require if the VMHC does not own the copyright or if the material is not in the public domain. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasions of privacy that may arise in copying and in the use made of the photographic copy.
12. The VMHC reserves the right to limit the number of photographic copies, photocopies or scans provided to patrons; to restrict the use or reproduction of rare or valuable materials; and to charge different fees from those published on the VMHC web site. The VMHC may refuse to accept an order based on condition of the item or on issues regarding ownership or donor-instituted restrictions.
13. The VMHC in no way waives its right to future use of any images or the right to grant others permission to use them.
14. Any exceptions or modifications to the above conditions will appear on, and be part of, this list of Conditions of Use for Images and must be agreed to by both parties.
Virginia Museum of History & Culture
For images from the Confederate Memorial Literary Society collection, please use: American Civil War Museum, under the management of Virginia Museum of History & Culture
When provided, the photographer's name and/or the accession or call number must be used in the credit line. We ask that you follow these guidelines:
- credit line should be easily accessible, preferably adjacent to the image
Film, broadcast, or video productions:
- include credit within the "Sources for Illustrations" or "Credits" section of the production
- credit should appear in the exhibition area, preferably directly below or adjacent to the image
- credit must be placed adjacent to the image along with a link to the Virginia Museum of History & Culture's web site, VirginiaHistory.org
|This is the preferred delivery method. Digital images are uploaded to Hightail.com and an e-mail is sent when the order is ready for pick-up. Images can be easily downloaded from the web site multiple times until the image expires (usually two weeks).|
Pick up at Virginia Museum of History & Culture
(Free for print orders/$10 for CD)
|Orders may be picked up during regular business hours at the Museum Store. Please alert the attendant that you are picking up a photo order. Pick-up of print orders is free. A $10 fee will be charged for burning digital orders to a CD.|
|All print or digital orders that must be shipped are sent by First Class mail unless otherwise specified. A $15 shipping and handling fee will apply. Small prints and CDs are shipped in a rigid cardboard envelope. Large prints are rolled with acid free tissue and mailed in a shipping tube.|
Your account or $40
|Orders can be sent by Federal Express two-day or overnight delivery. Please provide a Federal Express account number and a street address (no P.O. Box addresses) when placing an order. A $40 fee will be charged when patrons wishing to receive an order by FedEx, but who do not have a FedEx account.|
|Standard||When an order is received, an invoice is sent in four to six business days. Upon payment, orders are filled as quickly as possible and delivered in not more than four weeks. When new photography is necessary, orders may take longer.|
|10-Day Rush||Guaranteed delivery in fewer than ten business days from the time of payment is received is considered a ten-day rush order. The standard fee for images will be doubled. For example, a $35 tiff needed within ten days will cost $70. New digitization fees and use fees remain unchanged. The Virginia Historical Society reserves the right to decline rush orders as necessary.|
|5-Day Rush||Guaranteed delivery in fewer than five business days from the time payment is received is considered a five-day rush order. The standard fees for images will be tripled. For example, a $35 tiff needed within five days will cost $105. New digitization fees and use fees remain unchanged. The Virginia Historical Society reserves the right to decline rush orders as necessary.|
The copyright law of the United States (title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyright material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted works. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," the user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law. The granting of permission to publish by the society does not absolve users of materials from securing permission from copyright owners and payment of such additional fees as the owners may require if the society does not own the copyright or if the material is not in the public domain. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasions of privacy that may arise in copying and in the use made of the photographic copy.