Teacher & Student Resources
Teacher & Student Resources
- Sign up for the VHD Newsletter.
- Information Sessions: If you are interested in learning more about VHD, please email Virginia History Coordinator Sam Florer for more information. In-person or virtual information sessions can be arranged.
- VHD Webinar Series: Check out the VMHC's Calendar of Events for info about the latest VHD workshops and webinars.
- For additional teacher resources, please visit the National History Day website.
VHD Teacher Manual
This comprehensive guide for all grade levels provides an overview of the VHD process, sample lesson plans to implement the program in your classroom, and policies followed at all VHD contests. View the complete VHD Teacher Manual, which includes: The Basics, Lesson Plans, and Policies, or browse below to view individual sections.
- The Basics, a general overview of the History Day process
- View All Suggested Lesson Plans to implement NHD in your classroom, or click below to download them separately.
- Lesson Plans, Vol. 1 - Introduction, Theme, and Choosing a Topic
- Lesson Plans, Vol. 2 - Research and Note Taking
- Lesson Plans, Vol. 3 - Organizing and Writing an Argument
- Lesson Plans, Vol. 4 - Project Specific Organization
- Lesson Plans, Vol. 5 - Process Papers and Annotated Bibliographies
- VHD Contest Policies
VHD Elementary Teacher Guide
This resource rich primary source guide proves elementary level lesson plans needed to implement every step of the history day process in a 4th or 5th grade classroom. This project is sponsored in part by The Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Eastern Region Program, coordinated by Waynesburg University.
- View the VHD Elementary Teacher Guide (Google Version)
- View the VHD Elementary Teacher Guide (Printable PDF)
We’re here to help point you in the right direction for your research!
- Project Examples: View student project examples of each of the 5 NHD project types from past VHD State Contests.
- For specific project construction advice, visit NHD’s website.
- Topic Suggestions: View a list of possible topics and research suggestions for VHD projects.
- Online Research Resources: View a list of our go-to online resources, broken down by subject matter and time period.
- National Partners: View a comprehensive list of national research institutions from National History Day.
- State and Local Partners: Thank you to the following state and local institutions for their support of Virginia History Day. Follow the links to learn more about the research and educational resources each organization has to offer. Having trouble with your research? Local public libraries are great resources where you can ask for help. Find the library nearest to you.
- American Civil War Museum
- Encyclopedia Virginia
- Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
- Frontier Culture Museum
- The George C. Marshall International Center
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- Historic Dumfries Virginia & The Weems-Botts Museum
- Historic St. John’s Church
- Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
- John Marshall Foundation
- Library of Virginia
- The MacArthur Memorial Museum
- New American History
- Office of Historic Alexandria
- Patrick Henry’s Red Hill
- The Poe Museum
- Robert Russa Moton Museum
- Rockbridge Historical Society
- Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
- The Valentine
- Virginia Humanities
- White House Historical Association
- Woodrow Wilson’s Presidential Library & Museum
- Fort Monroe Authority
- National Guard Memorial Museum