All Saints Episcopal Church
A Guide to the All Saints Church (Protestant Episcopal), Henrico County, Va. Records, 1883-1983
Call Number Mss3 AL515 a FA1
Main Entry: All Saints Church (Henrico County, Va.) Title: Records, 1883-1983 Size: Ca. 400 items (51 volumes and 6 manuscript boxes) Historical Note:
All Saints Church began in 1883 as a mission of Monumental Church, Richmond, in what then constituted Richmond's "West End". Several members of the Monumental vestry procured a frame house on the corner of Madison and Grace Streets in Richmond for the purpose of forming a chapel for Sunday School and evening services. In 1886 the small but growing congregation decided to build a church facility on Madison Street, which was completed in 1888. Ten years later the congregation again voted to build, this time on a lot given the church on Franklin Street. The new facility was contracted in 1898 and completed in 1901. The Madison Street building continued to be used as a Sunday School building.
The Franklin Street edifice became a familiar sight in Richmond through the first half of the twentieth century. By 1955, however, the congregation again felt the need to move. A site adjacent to "Roslyn", the Episcopal retreat on River Road in Henrico County, was chosen and construction completed in 1959. In the 1960s a Parish House was added to the facility, with the addition constructed in 1970.
Scope Note: The records of All Saints Church in this collection include the minute books of the vestry from its formation through 1972. Parish registers list communicants and record baptisms, marriages, and burials performed by All Saints clergymen. Sixteen scrapbooks recall various aspects of the history of the church and its people. Loose papers concentrate primarily on title records to the various church sites, architectural plans and construction, fund raising, both general and specific, and various parish and diocesan activities and programs. Bound volumes are filed on open shelves and loose papers, including miscellaneous printed matter and photographs, are indicated by box in the guide following. Provenance: Deposited by the Vestry of All Saints Church, Henrico County, Va., 23 November 1983 Restrictions: None
Series I. Bound Volumes
A. Proceedings, 1883-1889, of the Monumental Church Vestry, regarding the formation of All Saints Church.
B. Vestry Minute Books:
I. 1888 July 13 - 1900 December 3
II. 1901 January 2 - 1926 December 6
III. 1927 January 3 - 1946 December 2 (note: typed vestry minutes and supplementary materials, March 1942 - December 1946, are filed as loose papers in a folder immediately following this volume)
IV. 1947 January 6 - 1956 December 3 (note: typed vestry minutes and supplementary materials, January 1947 - January 1955, are filed as loose papers in a folder immediately following this volume)
V. 1957 January 7 - 1958 December 8
VI. 1959 January 5 - 1960 June 6
VII 1960 August 14 - 1962 March 12
VIII. 1962 April 2 - 1964 June 8
IX. 1964 September 14 - 1965 October 4
X. 1965 November 8 - 1966 September 12
XI. 1966 October 3 - 1967 April 3
XII. 1967 May 8 - 1968 January 2
XIII. 1968 January 21 - 1972 July 30
Note: See additions for later volumes
C. Parish Registers:
Note: See additions for later volumes
D. Registers of Church Services:
E. Cash Journals: 1971; 1977
F. Collection Ledgers: 1976; 1977
Young Peoples Service League, Junior Group, 1966-1967.
H. Registers of Church Families: 1889-1913; 1912-1930
I. Miscellaneous volumes:
Register's letter book, 1902-1938
Church guest book, 1956-1959
Parish Notes, 1920-1939
History of Monumental Church, presented by George D. Fisher
Bible presented in memory of Cornelius C. Chapin, Christmas 1937
Alter Service (2 copies) presented in memory of Sallie C. Valentine
Series II. Loose Papers:
Box 1: General correspondence, 1899-1969
- Deeds to land in Richmond, Va. (Franklin Street Church site), 1898-1959; materials concerning the sale of the Franklin Street property and church building, 1958-1959
- Title records and correspondence concerning the River Road (Roslyn) site in Henrico County, 1955-1964
Box 2: Building fund campaign records, 1956
- Architectural plans and data for the River Road facility, 1956-1959
- Parish House construction - architectual plans and specifications, 1961; plans and specifications for addition, 1970 (folder 1)
Box 3: Parish House construction - building fund correspondence and invoices, 1965- 1968 (bound)
Box 4: Capital fund campaign records, 1968
- Diocese study and report on All Saints Church, 1968
Box 5: Newspaper clippings, ca. 1901-1971
- General miscellany: biographical information on various clergymen and staff members; membership lists and data; ministers' records of baptisms, marriages and burials performed; church car; unclassified miscellany, 1897-1983
- Printed miscellany: Worship programs; "All Saints News" issues 1956-1958; invitations to church functions; pamphlets, brochures, programs, etc. (folder 1)
Box 6: printed miscellany (folder 2)
- photographs: including all three church sites and buildings, and various clergymen
Guide to Additions
added 27 March 1984:
- Vestry Minute Book, XIV, 1972 September 11-1973 December 2.
- Senior Warden's Working Papers for Vestry meetings, 1983 (one volume).
added 12 February 1985:
- Vestry Minute Book, XVI, 1975 July 2-1976 September 11.
added 30 January 1986:
- Vestry Minutes Book, XVI, 1975 July 2-1976 September 11.
added 26 December 1986:
- Vestry Minute Book, XVII, 1976 September 8-1977 December 5.
- Vestry Minute Book, XVIII, 1978 January 9-1979 December 3.
- Miscellaneous photographs, newspaper clippings and printed ephemera, two boxes of color slides and one reel of film of All Saints Kindergarten (Box 6); matte boards for mock-up of stewardship cards and other printed announcements (oversize - Boxes 7-8) (ca. 50 items total).
removed 11 April 1991:
- Parish registers, I-IV (1888-1973), 4 volumes, returned to All Saints Church; consult microfilm copies: VHS reel B73