Owens & Minor, Inc.
A Guide to the Owens & Minor, Inc., Records, 1882-2009
Call Number Mss3 Ow27 a FA2
Processed by: Kurt Jensen.
c 2014 By Virginia Historical Society. All rights reserved
Processed under the auspices of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions.
Owens & Minor, Inc., Records, 1882-2009 (Mss3 Ow27 a FA2), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va.
Gift of Owens & Minor, Inc., Richmond, Virginia, 20 June 2006 (Acq. 2006.0054). Accessioned 30 September 2014.
Repository: Virginia Historical Society.
Collection number: Mss3 Ow27 a FA2
Title: Owens & Minor, In.c, Records, 1882-2009
Size: 23 linear feet.
Abstract: Historical materials and corporate documents dating from the founding of the company in 1882 to the publication of their 125th anniversary history in 2009, as well as personnel materials, documents related to three of their Richmond corporate buildings from 1946-1991, and materials relating to the acquisition of subsidiaries.
Scope and Content Information
The collection is primarily concerned with the company's period of growth and strategic transition under the direction of G. Gilmer Minor, Jr. and his son, G. Gilmer Minor, III, from 1955-1993. During this period, the company made many acquisitions and sales, beginning with the purchase of rival Richmond drug wholesaler Bodeker Drug Company and ending with the sale of its entire wholesale drug division to Bergen Brunswig. In less than forty years, Owens & Minor grew from a regional company with revenue of $5 million to a national corporation with revenue over $1 billion, over the same period transitioning from being a drug wholesaler to operating as a hospital supplier and third-party logistics firm. The bulk of the collection consists of contracts and materials related to these sales and acquisitions, and corporate documents of the acquired subsidiaries themselves. The collection also contains historical materials and some corporate documents dating from the founding of the company in 1882 to the publication of their 125th anniversary history in 2009, as well as personnel materials, and documents related to three of their Richmond corporate buildings from 1946-1991.
The Owens & Minor collection is arranged into six series by document type and subject, and they are further subdivided where necessary. The series include: 1. Administrative Materials; 2. Financial Materials; 3. Personnel Materials; 4. Corporate Buildings; 5. Acquisitions and Subsidiaries; and 6. Historical Materials.
Owens & Minor, Inc. was founded in 1882 in Richmond, Virginia, by Otho O. Owens and George Gilmer Minor, II, as a pharmaceutical wholesale and retail company.
Prior to beginning Owens & Minor, the two partners were rival traveling salesman for different Richmond wholesale druggists. Despite entering into a heavily competitive industry--there were five other wholesale druggists in Richmond at the time--the partnership attracted substantial financing from partners in Brown, Davis, & Co., a grocery wholesaler. The partners hoped to translate their traveling sales experience into a significant market share of rural and small-town pharmacists.
Owens and Minor hired their first employee, an apothecary named Joseph Willis, to run the retail store-front at their location at 1007 East Main Street. Willis also developed a line of patent products advertised under the fictitious name "Dr. David." According to the 125th anniversary history of the company, the 1906 Food and Drug Act did not affect Owens & Minor, because Willis's products made mild health claims and did no damage.
The early history of the company is one of financial difficulty, especially as the 1880s and 1890s were economically weak in Richmond, including the lengthy nationwide depression surrounding the panic of 1893. The business's low margins and need to extend credit to struggling consumers made the company's balance sheet precarious. Yet the emergence from recession toward the turn of the century allowed Owens & Minor to reach record profits.
Under the presidency of Owens, the company pursued retail expansion, but after his death in 1906, Minor liquidated the company's retail assets to focus on wholesaling and Willis's patent preparations. In 1913, the company moved to a new larger office and warehouse at 10th & Cary Streets, forgoing their Main Street retail storefront.
After Minor's death in 1911, the presidency passed to Conway Mason Knox who had worked his way up the ladder from being a clerk to becoming Minor's number two. Under Knox, the company reached new heights of prosperity and reorganized its ownership in 1927, incorporating rather than continuing to operate as a limited partnership, so that a larger percentage of common stock could be owned by officers. The Owens family sold its interest in the company at this time.
The company was hit again by recession after the Stock Market Crash of 1929, but it stayed afloat long enough to see a strong recovery.
When Knox retired in 1941, the presidency passed to Minor's son, George Gilmer Minor, III, who died shortly after in 1942. Minor, II's other son, William Y. Minor, acted as Knox's secretary but died in 1939. James Baker Bowers succeeded Minor, Jr. until his retirement in 1947, when George Gilmer Minor, IV, was elected president. He would change his name to G. Gilmer Minor, Jr. and be known as Gil, Jr. Gil, Jr.'s brother, Philip M. Minor, or "Phil," acted as one of the company's vice-presidents.
Under Gil, Jr., the company began its aggressive growth strategy through acquisitions. Gil, Jr. arranged the purchase of Richmond's Bodeker Drug Company in 1955 and oversaw the many strategic and pivotal acquisitions that are largely the subject of this collection until his retirement in 1981. The company operated under the name Owens, Minor, & Bodeker from 1955 to 1982.
In 1966, Gil, Jr. orchestrated the acquisition of the company's first medical and surgical supply firm, A&J Hospital Supply. Shortly after, in 1968, the company purchased Powers & Anderson, a large regional hospital supplier. The company would eventually sell its wholesale drug interests entirely in 1992, having successfully become a much stronger hospital supply firm.
For the final five years of Gil, Jr.'s tenure, the presidency passed to William F. Fife, but Gil, Jr. remained the Chief Executive Officer of the company.
In 1981, Gil, Jr.'s son G. Gilmer Minor, III, fifth by generation, was elected president. Gil, III continued the aggressive growth of the company, promising in 1985 that the company would achieve one billion dollars in revenue by 1990, a goal which was exceeded by 200 million. He also oversaw the company's listing on the New York Stock Exchange in 1988. Today, the company has a market capitalization of 2.2 billion and continues to grow by acquisition.
Owens & Minor, through to Gil, III's retirement as CEO in 2005, was largely a family operated enterprise.
A. Kuhlman and Co.
Bodeker Drug Company
Family-owned Business Enterprises - Virginia - History - 19th Century
Family-owned Business Enterprises - Virginia - History - 20th Century
Koley's Medical Supply Co., Inc.
Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc.
Minor, George Gilmer, II
Minor, George Gilmer, III
Minor, G. Gilmer, Jr. (4)
Minor, G. Gilmer, III (5)
Minor, Philip M.
National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corporation
Owens, Otho O.
Owens & Minor
Owens, Minor, & Bodeker
Pharmaceutical Industry - Virginia - Richmond - History - 19th Century
Pharmaceutical Industry - Virginia - Richmond - History - 20th Century
Powers & Anderson, Inc.
Real Estate Development - Virginia - Richmond - History - 20th Century
Stuart Medical, Inc.
United Hospital Associates, Inc.
Virginia - Economic Conditions - 19th Century
Virginia - Economic Conditions - 20th Century
White Surgical Supply Co., Inc.
Series 1. Administrative Materials, 1887-2005.
This series consists of meeting minutes, contracts, and documents of the board of directors of Owens & Minor, Inc. The minutes date from 1887, when the company reorganized as a limited partnership, and are complete through 1993, except for the period 1927-1958. Researchers should note that select, pertinent minutes from this period are interspersed throughout the contracts and materials folders.
Researchers should also note that the folders in Series 1.2 and 1.3 contain not only contracts but also notes and correspondence regarding each action, and thus the folders concerning refinancing or sales and acquisitions are distinct from the bound volumes included in financial materials, Series 2, which include only official documents. Sales and acquisitions prior to 1987 are included in Series 1.3, including the purchase of Bodeker Drug Company in 1955, the beginning of the company's acquisition strategy, and A&J Hospital Supply in 1966, the pivotal acquisition which introduced Owens & Minor to the hospital supply industry.
A typical contracts and materials folder contains notes, correspondence, and occasional pertinent financials in addition to contracts and official documents such as board resolutions, certificates, and notices.
Series 1.1. Minutes Books, 1887-1993.
|1||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1887-1907|
|2||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1907-1926|
|3||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1958-1975|
|4||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1976-1984|
|5||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1985-1986|
|6||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1987-1988|
|7||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1988 (continued)|
|8||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1989-1991|
|9||Board of Directors Minutes Book, 1992-1993|
|10||Committee, Audit, Minutes Book, 1976-1985|
|11||Committee, Profit Sharing and Pension Plan, Minutes Book, 1958-1973|
Series 1.2. Board of Directors Internal Contracts, Agreements, Etc., 1926-1991.
The state certificates in Folder 12 are concentrated around 1980 when Owens & Minor merged with many of its subsidiary companies. The insurance policies folder includes the group life insurance policy for all the company's employees in addition to officers' liability insurance.
|12||Certificates, State, 1926-1984|
|13||Contracts and Materials, Charter Amendment and Refinancing, 1946-1951|
|14||Contracts and Materials, Employee Profit Sharing and Pension Plan, 1976-1984|
|15||Contracts and Materials, Insurance Policies, 1955-1976|
|16||Contracts and Materials, Loan, 1977-1980|
|17||Contracts and Materials, Refinancing, 1 of 2, 1951-1952|
|18||Contracts and Materials, Refinancing, 2 of 2, 1951-1952|
|19||Contracts and Materials, Sale of Common Stock, 1983|
|20||"Mission Statement, 1991" 35mm film (2 reels; moved to Audio-Visual, Box 23)|
|21||Survey Reports, Mission Statement, 1991|
|22||Survey Reports, Vision, 1991|
Series 1.3. Board of Directors External Contracts, Agreements, Etc., 1936-1987.
The Fair Trade Act materials include new wholesaler-retailer contracts drawn up following the enactment of the Virginia Fair Trade Act in 1936. State fair trade acts were heavily litigated constitutional issues.
The National Data Corporation software agreement pertains to a pharmacy management system Owens & Minor licensed from NDC.
|23||Abbott Laboratories, Warehousing and Delivery Agreement, 1982-1986|
|24||A&J Hospital Supply Company Purchase, 1966-1967|
|25||Bodeker Drug Company Purchase and Refinancing, 1955-1960|
|26||Care Line, Inc., Asset Purchase and Sale, 1983-1984|
|27||Esterline Corporation, Purchase of Assets, 1976-1977|
|28||Fair Trade Act, 1936-1938|
|29||Hack Industries, Inc., Sublease, 1979-1984|
|30||National Data Corporation, Software Agreement, 1977-1979|
|31||Tenth & Cary Building Corporation, Merger, 1962-1966|
|32||Trammel Crow-Farnsworth Company, Lease, 1983-1984|
|33||Volunteer Hospitals of America, Inc., Vendor Agreements, 1984-1987|
|34||Will Ross, Purchase from Searle Medical, 1980-1982|
Series 1.4. Board of Directors Miscellaneous Contracts, Agreements, Etc., 1951-1987.
The miscellaneous folders contain contracts, agreements, notes, and correspondence regarding a wide variety of leases, purchases, franchise and distributor agreements, refinancing agreements, trademarks, etc.
The 1969-1984 folder includes a franchise agreement with Bergen Brunswig Corporation in 1976, well before the 1989 and 1992 deals concerning the same. It also contains a drawn hierarchy of corporate organization and leadership dated 1984.
|35||Miscellaneous Contracts and Materials, 1951-1967|
|36||Miscellaneous Contracts and Materials, 1969-1984|
|37||Miscellaneous Contracts and Materials, 1984-1987|
|38||Miscellaneous Distributor Agreements, 1974-1984|
Series 1.5 Board of Directors Official Publications, 1972-2005.
|39||Annual report to stockholders, 1972|
|40||Annual report to stockholders, 1976|
|41||Annual report to stockholders, 1982|
|42||Annual report to stockholders, 1983|
|43||Annual report to stockholders, 1984|
|44||Annual report to stockholders, 1985|
|45||Annual report to stockholders, 1986|
|46||Annual report to stockholders, 1987|
|47||Annual report to stockholders, 1988|
|48||Annual report to stockholders, 1989|
|49||Annual report to stockholders, 1990|
|50||Annual report to stockholders, 1991|
|51||Annual report to stockholders, 1994|
|52||Annual report to stockholders, 1995|
|53||Annual report to stockholders, 1996|
|54||Annual report to stockholders, 1997|
|55||Annual report to stockholders, 1998|
|56||Annual report to stockholders, 1999|
|57||Annual report to stockholders, 2000|
|58||Annual report to stockholders, 2001|
|59||Annual report to stockholders, 2002|
|60||Annual report to stockholders, 2003|
|61||Annual report to stockholders, 2004|
|62||Notices of annual meetings and proxy statements, 1981-2005|
|63||Presentation before the New York Society of Security Analysts, 1992|
|64||Statements of Nominated Directors, 1976-1978|
|65||Year End Results, U-matic tape, 1992 (Stored with Audio-Visual materials, Box 23)|
Series 2. Financial Materials, 1882-2001.
This series consists largely of bound volumes of official documents and filings pertaining to refinancing, 1955-2001, or the acquisition and sale of assets, 1987-1992, though it also includes various account books, financial statements, and unbound SEC filings. A typical bound volume includes official board documents, certifications, contracts, legal correspondence, and SEC filings pertaining to each action. They do not contain related notes and correspondence as do the contracts and materials folders in administrative materials. Sales and Acquisitions prior to 1987 are included in administrative materials, Series 1.3.
Series 2.1. Account Books, 1882-1990.
|66a||Account book, 1882-1886, of capital investments, expenses, accounts ordered by client (see Oversize).|
|66b||Account book, 1882-1884, containing individual invoices and expenses monthly (see Oversize)|
|66c||Account book, 1882-1884, concerning cash accounting (see Oversize)|
|67a||Account book, 1882-1883|
|67b||Account book, 1913|
|67c||Account book, 1919-1923, profit and loss accounting (see Oversize)|
|67d||Account book, 1924-1926, profit and loss accounting (see Oversize)|
|67e||Account book, 1926-1934, profit and loss accounting (See Oversize)|
|67f||Account book, 1935-1943, profit and loss accounting (see Oversize)|
|68||Account book, 1936-1948, annual comparative data|
|68b||Account book, 1943-1950, profit and loss accounting (see Oversize)|
|69||Account book, 1950-1961|
|70||Account book, 1952-1954|
|71||Account book, 1955-1957|
|72||Account book, 1957-1961|
|73||Account book, 1989-1990|
Series 2.2. Financial Statements, 1959-1988.
The December year-end statements from 1981-1988 are sometimes noted as "Gil's Special Book," perhaps because they were organized to his specifications.
|74||Annual statement, 1966|
|75||Annual statement, 1967|
|76||Annual statement, 1968|
|77||Annual statement, 1969|
|78||Annual statement, 1970|
|79||Annual statement, 1971|
|80||Annual statement, 1973|
|81||Annual statement, 1974|
|82||Annual statement, 1975|
|83||Annual statement, 1976|
|84||Annual statement, 1977|
|85||Annual statement, 1978|
|86||Audited statement, 1959|
|87||Audited statement, 1960|
|88||Audited statement, 1961|
|89||Audited statement, 1963|
|90||Audited statement, 1964|
|91||CPA report on examination, 1965|
|92||CPA report on examination, 1966|
|93||CPA report on examination, 1967|
|94||CPA report on examination, 1968|
|95||CPA report on examination, 1969|
|96||CPA report on examination, 1970|
|97||CPA report on examination, 1971|
|98||CPA report on examination, 1972|
|99||CPA report on examination, 1973|
|100||CPA report on examination, 1975|
|101||CPA report on examination, 1977|
|102||CPA report on examination, 1978|
|103||December nine months statement, 1981|
|104||December year-end comparative statement, 1982|
|105||December year-end budget v. actual statement, 1983|
|106||December year-end budget v. actual statement, 1984|
|107||December year-end budget v. actual statement, 1985|
|108||December year-end budget v. actual statement, 1986|
|109||December year-end comparative statement, 1987|
|110||December year-end comparative statement, 1988|
Series 2.3. Loans, Bonds, Equity, Refinancing Volumes, 1955-2001.
All items in the refinancing series are debt instruments except for the stock issues and the preferred share purchase rights plan which fall on the equity side of the balance sheet. Debentures are debt instruments not secured by assets or collateral, while other debt instruments entitle the holder to some form of collateral if the issuer defaults on repayment.
|111||Adoption of preferred share purchase rights plan, 1988|
|112||Bond, Glasgow, Kentucky, Industrial building revenue, 1986|
|113||Debentures Issue, Convertible Subordinated, 1985|
|114||Debentures Issue, Standby underwriting and redemption of subordinated, 1987|
|115||Loan, Term, 1960|
|117||Loan, Revolving Credit Term, 1982-1985|
|118||Loan, Revolving Credit Term, 1985|
|119||Loan, Revolving Credit Term, 1989|
|120||Notes Issue, 1965|
|121||Notes Issue, Senior, Volume I, 2001|
|122||Notes Issue, Senior, Volume II, 2001|
|123||Stock Issue, Preferred, and Loan, 1955|
|124a||Stock and Notes Issue, 1971|
|124b||Transaction register for stock purchase plan, 1983-1988 (see Oversize)|
|124c||Transaction register for stock purchase plan, 1989-1991 (see Oversize)|
|124d||Transaction register for stock purchase plan, 1992 (see Oversize)|
|125||Stock Issue, 1983|
|126||Trust Term Convertible Securities Series A Volume I, 1998|
|127||Trust Term Convertible Securities Series A Volume II, 1998|
|128||Trust Term Convertible Securities Series A Volume III, 1998|
|129||Trust Term Convertible Securities Series A Volume IV, 1998|
Series 2.4. Sales and Acquisition, 1987-1992.
Researchers should also note that the bound volume corresponding to the 1988 acquisition of Transhealth, Inc., since it was carried out by the subsidiary company Owens & Minor of Minnesota, Inc., is filed under that subsidiary in Series 5.7.
|130||Harbor Medical, Inc., Purchase of Common Stock, 1987|
|131||Leon Stotter, inc., Acquisition of Certain Assets, volume I, 1987|
|132||Leon Stotter, inc., Acquisition of Certain Assets, volume II, 1987|
|133||National Medical Supply Corp., Purchase from Hygeia Limited, 1989|
|134||Vangard Labs, Inc., Sale to Medical Technology Systems, Inc., 1992|
|135||Wholesale Drug Division, Sale of Certain Assets to Bergen Brunswig, 1992|
Series 2.5. SEC filings, 1971-2001.
Though a number of the unbound SEC filings are second copies, researchers should note that some filings do not have corresponding bound volumes in which they would be included, and in the case of the debentures issue in 1985, the corresponding, loose Amendment No. 1 to Form S-2 has a complete set of exhibits where the bound volume does not.
|136||Amendment No. 1 to Form S-2 with Exhibits, 1985|
|137||Amendment No. 1 to Form S-3, 1998|
|138||Proxy Statement, Preliminary, 1976|
|139||SEC Forms 10-K and 10-Q, 1975-1976, 1982|
|140||SEC Forms 8-K, 1976|
|141||SEC Form S-4, 2001|
|142||Security Prospectuses, 1971-2001|
|143||Stock and Note Specimen, 1988-1996|
Series 3. Personnel Materials, 1942-2006.
This series consists of materials related to employee training, especially in terms of personnel and sales management, in addition to employee policies and contracts.
Series 3.1. Training Materials, 1942-2006.
There is no information on how, exactly, the training materials were used. In the case of McKesson & Robbins Personnel Working Tools from 1942, the training pamphlet was produced by an Owens & Minor competitor.< p>The Small Business Administration Management Aids include the 1978 "Women's Handbook," which includes data about women-owned business enterprises.
|144||Bureau of the Budget Work Measurement System, 1950|
|145||"Business Ethics : a guide to identifying and resolving ethical dilemmas in business (MTI Film & Video, n.d.); No Strings Attached : gifts, kickbacks, conflicts of interest (Commonwealth Films, Inc., 1994). VHS tapes (Stored with Audio-Visual materials, Box 23)|
|146||Lilly Wholesaler Sales Training Program, Undated|
|147||McKesson & Robbins Personnel Working Tools, 1942|
|148||Modern Office Procedures White Paper Report, 1982|
|149||Sales and Marketing Management Special Report, 1978|
|150||Sawyer, W. E. Sales Management books, 1971|
|151||Small Business Administration Management Aids, 1968, 1978|
|152||Standards of Conduct, 2003, 2006|
Series 3.2. Employee Agreements, Policies, Registers, 1959-1992.
The transaction registers for the employee stock purchase plan from 1989-1992 include a comprehensive listing of employees enrolled in the plan during that period, their addresses, and enrollment dates.
|153||Employee Profit Sharing, Pension, Trust Plans and Agreements, 1959-1976|
|154||Employee Profit Sharing, Pension, Trust Plans and Agreements, Amendments, 1969-1971|
|155||Molster, Charles B., Jr. Salary Continuation policy from Northwestern Mutual Life, 1987|
|156||Transaction Registers for Stock Purchase Plan, 1989-1992|
Series 4. Corporate Buildings, 1946-1991.
This series consists of contracts and materials related to three of Owens & Minor's corporate buildings in the Richmond, Virginia area. Owens & Minor moved to a location on the corner of Tenth and Cary streets in 1913, but the record begins in 1946 when Tenth & Cary Building Corporation was formed by directors of Owens & Minor to take possession of the building from First and Merchants National Bank, the trustee of the estate of original landlord Thomas L. Moore.
The building corporation then leased the location to Owens & Minor until the company decided to build and move to a new single-story office and warehouse facility on Bethlehem Road, finalizing the move in 1965. Tenth & Cary Building Corporation was merged with Owens & Minor and ceased to exist at that time. Information concerning the merger is located in series 1.3.
The Bethlehem Road materials include a surveyor's drawing of the plot and contracts with the construction firm, but they do not include architectural drawings of the building.
Most of the materials in this series have to do with the more recent corporate headquarters relocation to Innsbrook, where Owens & Minor built a new office building with the assistance of property management firm SPG International, Inc. of Dallas, Texas. The building was designed by architectural firm Sinclair Hui Architects, also of Dallas, and it was to be constructed by Richmond firm Dominion Construction, Inc., though they were dropped due to unsatisfactory work. Kjelstrom & Lee, Inc. completed the interior tenant finish-out. The materials include extensive correspondence from proposal to finalization, in addition to architectural drawings.
Owens & Minor built and moved to a new corporate office in 2006, of which there is a picture in the 2009 125th anniversary book, but there are no materials related to the new building in this collection.
Series 4.1. Tenth & Cary, 1946-1964.
|157||Tenth & Cary Building Corp., Minutes Book, 1946-1964|
|158||Tenth & Cary Building Corp., Contracts and Materials, 1946-1955|
Series 4.2. Bethlehem Road, 1959-1971.
|159||Contracts and Materials, Bethlehem Road Building, 1959-1971|
Series 4.3. Innsbrook, 1987-1991.
|160||Architect and consulting engineers correspondence and notes, 1988|
|161||Change Orders, proposal forms, cost estimates, 1987-1988|
|162||Change orders, 1989|
|163||Final settlements, 1990-1991|
|164||Furniture proposal forms, 1988|
|165||Gunst, Henry Lunchroom Agreement, 1989|
|167||Landscape work, additional, and interior samples, 1990|
|168||Lease agreement, 1988|
|169||Move Schedule and Finalization, 1989|
|170||Notes, Drawings, Correspondence, 1987-1988|
|171||Notes, Drawings, Correspondence, 1989|
|172||Tenant Finish-Out Guaranteed Maximum Price, 1988|
|173||Tenant finish-out notes and correspondence, 1988-1989|
|174||Miscellaneous Hold File, 1988-1989|
Series 5. Acquisitions and Subsidiaries, 1910-1991.
This series consists of corporate materials of Owens & Minors acquisitions and subsidiaries. The materials generally date to well before the relevant sale or acquisition and sometimes continue after if the company continued to act as an independent subsidiary.
In the case of Owens & Minor of Minnesota, Inc., Owens & Minor of North Carolina, Inc., and United Hospital Associates, Inc., the companies were incorporated as wholly-owned subsidiaries of Owens & Minor, Inc. The decision to incorporate a separate subsidiary rather than operate it as a branch of the parent company was often an organizational management or income statement concern. In the case of the North Carolina subsidiary, for example, the costs of establishing the branch from scratch would have only been included in the balance sheet of the parent company as an equity investment, and it would not have affected the non-consolidated income statement of the same.
These materials are not comprehensive, and the collection does not contain materials for every acquisition or subsidiary of Owens & Minor. After the purchase of Bodeker in 1955, chronologically, Powers & Anderson, Inc. was the first acquisition. The deal materialized in 1968 and rapidly expanded Owens & Minor's medical supply operations. Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc. was purchased in 1969, White Surgical Supply Co. was purchased in 1974, MWM Corporation was purchased in 1983 and became Vangard Labs, National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corp. was purchased in 1989, Koley's Medical Supply, Inc. was purchased in 1991, and A. Kuhlman & Co. and Stuart Medical, Inc. were both purchased in 1993.
Within the subseries, documents are arranged in the order of the larger collection, divided by company or subsidiary; i.e. all documents solely pertaining to Powers & Anderson, Inc. come before documents pertaining to Powers & Anderson of South Carolina, Inc., etc.
Series 5.1 A. Kuhlman and Co., 1971-1993.
A. Kuhlman and Co. was a family owned and operated surgical instrument manufacturer founded in 1867 in Detroit, Michigan by August Kuhlman, a German immigrant. His son, Henry Kuhlman, began working as his assistant but eventually became a partner and the sole proprietor upon Augustus's death in 1901.
The record in this collection begins much later, however, when A. Kuhlman and Co. was incorporated in 1971 by Kuhlman descendents Henry A. Kuhlman, Henry M. Kuhlman and Elizabeth S. Kuhlman. The company had previously been operating as a limited co-partnership of Henry A. Kuhlman and Henry M. Kuhlman. Henry N. Kuhlman was added to the board of directors in 1977.
By the time of its acquisition by Owens & Minor in 1993, A. Kuhlman and Co. specialized in distributing wound management products. The acquisition coincided with Owens & Minor opening a distribution center in Detroit, and it represented the complete consolidation of wound management programs in the industry.
Henry N. Kuhlman would stay on to run A. Kuhlman and Co. as a subsidiary of Owens & Minor.
The minutes only span 1971-1978, but the book includes Michigan annual reports that date to 1993. The collection has no other materials relating to A. Kuhlman and Co.
|175||A. Kuhlman and Co. Minutes Book, 1971-1993|
Series 5.2. Bodeker Drug Company, 1938-1955.
Bodeker Drug Company was founded in 1846 when Augustus Bodeker, a german immigrant, opened A. Bodeker, Apothecary on Main Street in Richmond. The company was a family owned and operated drug retail, wholesale, and manufacturing firm. In 1860, August gave his brother Henry a part interest in the firm, and the name was changed to A. Bodeker & Company and later Bodeker Brothers, Druggists. Their brother William also assisted them in operations.
The company's original storefront was destroyed in the 1865 fire that consumed many of Richmond's Main Street businesses.
Around the time of the deaths of Augustus and Henry in 1884 and 1890, respectively, a Henrico county dairyman known as Charles L. Miller purchased a controlling interest in the firm. He incorporated the firm as Bodeker Drug Company in 1898. John L. Bodeker was a founding director of the company, but the Miller family acquired all outstanding stock in the company by 1922. The Miller family owned and operated the company for almost sixty years, until its acquisition by Owens & Minor in 1955.
The 125th anniversary history of Owens & Minor notes that the Miller family stockholders expressed their desire to cash out of the business to Gil, Jr., who jumped at the chance to purchase their largest competitor in Richmond.
The Virginia Historical Society library collection includes a hundredth anniversary history of the Bodeker Drug Company entitled "A Century of Service, Bodeker Drug Co," published in 1946 by the company.
The employee register appears to have a file for every Bodeker employee during the time period with information including addresses, previous work, schooling, etc. Contracts and materials related to the purchase of the Bodeker Drug Company in 1955 are located in Series 1.3.
|176||Employee Register, 1938-1955|
Series 5.3. Koley's Medical Supply Co., Inc., 1926-1991.
Koley's Medical Supply Co., Inc. was incorporated as Professional Supply Company, Inc. in 1924 by Thomas L. Murphy, Matthew P. Gleason, and James J. Gleason in Omaha, Nebraska, as a medical and surgical supply manufacturer and wholesaler.
By 1953, Robert C. Koley had purchased the Gleasons' stake in the company. Thomas L. Murphy sold his stake in 1957, and the new stockholders included Robert C. Koley, August J. Grieb, and Marie F. Koley who acted as secretary.
In 1965, the Koleys purchased Grieb's stake, changing the name of the company to Koley's Professional Supply Co., Inc. In 1981, several other Koleys were introduced as shareholders and directors, and the name of the company was changed to Koley's Medical Supply Co., Inc.
By the time of its acquisition in 1991, Koley's operated as a third-party logistics firm, offering stockless inventory management programs to hospitals.
Besides the minutes books of the company, most of the materials in this series have to do with the acquisition of Koley's by Owens & Minor in 1991.
|177||Minutes Book (Professional Supply Co., Inc.), 1926-1943|
|178||Minutes Book (Professional Supply Co., Inc.), 1947-1957|
|179||Minutes Book, 1965-1988|
|180||Closing Documents, 1 of 3, 1990-1991|
|181||Closing Documents, 2 of 3, 1990-1991|
|182||Closing Documents, 3 of 3, 1990-1991|
|183||Stock Purchase Agreement, 1991|
|184||Stock Restriction Agreements, 1957-1991|
|185||Stock Certificates, Cancelled, (Professional Supply Co., Inc.), 1925-1957|
|186||Stock Certificates, Cancelled, 1979-1991|
|187||Stock Certificates, Purchased, 1991|
|188||Stock Register, 1965-1991|
Series 5.4. Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc., 1936-1977.
Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc. was originally incorporated as Marks & Marks, Inc. by Henry M. Marks, Jr. and Guy H. Marks in Augusta, Georgia in 1936. Marks & Marks, Inc. was a family owned and operated drug wholesale firm. The company previously operated as a limited partnership of the two men, but the record in this collection begins with its incorporation.
In 1949, the company pivotally changed their charter to be named Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc. and operate in the surgical supply industry. In 1961, Henry M. Marks, III, a graduate of Washington and Lee University and the son of Marks, Jr., was elected as an officer of the company.
In 1971, the company was acquired by Owens & Minor. The 125th anniversary notes that Marks, Jr. reached out to Gil, Jr. and said he was willing to sell the company for stock in Owens & Minor, which was eventually settled upon as a 14 percent stake.
Marks, III would stay on as the vice president of Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc. as a subsidiary of Owens & Minor, and Marks, Jr. joined the board of directors of the parent company.
|189||Marks Surgical Supplies, Inc. Minutes book, 1936-1977|
Series 5.5. MWM Corporation, 1987.
MWM Corporation was a generic drug packaging firm purchased by Owens & Minor in 1983 for $700,000 in cash. The name of the subsidiary was changed to Vangard Labs. The collection does not contain materials for MWM Corporation prior to its acquisition by Owens & Minor.
Under Owens & Minor, the company received a large contract with Volunteer Hospitals of America, a proposal for which is located in the VHA folder in series 1.3. The Glasgow, Kentucky Industrial Building Revenue Bond in series 2.3 financed the construction of a new packaging facility for Vangard Labs, and the outlook for the subsidiary was highly optimistic, especially considering its much higher gross margins compared to the rest of the wholesale drug division.
Revenues did not grow as hoped, however, and concurrent with the sale of the drug division, the assets of Vangard Labs were sold. Its sale to Medical Technology Systems, Inc. in 1992 is documented in Series 2.4.
|190||Stock Certificates, Blank, Issued to MWM Corporation, 1987|
Series 5.6. National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corporation, 1958-1989.
Bergen Brunswig Corporation purchased the wholesale drug division of Owens & Minor in 1992, but these materials have to do with the complicated history of a medical/surgical subsidiary of Bergen Brunswig that was purchased by National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corporation, which was in turn purchased by Owens & Minor.
The record begins with the independent incorporation of Mettler Laboratories, Inc. which would change its name to Plasta-Medic, Inc. This company was purchased by Brunswig Drug Company, later Bergen Brunswig Corporation, in 1968, and its name was later changed to the Scherer Company. The name of the company would change under Bergen Brunswig to the following, in order: Scherer Medical/Scientific, Inc.; Bergen Brunswig Medical/Surgical, Inc.; and Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company. Synergex HS&S, Inc. was incorporated as a separate subsidiary of Bergen Brunswig Corporation in 1985, but ownership was later transferred to the Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company in 1987.
Bergen Brunswig Corporation would sell their interest in Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company to National Medical Supply Corporation in 1988, merging Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company with a subsidiary of National Medical Supply Corporation, National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corp., which was to be the surviving corporation of the merger.
Hygeia Limited owned the controlling stake of National Medical Supply Corporation, the parent company, and would sell their stake to Owens & Minor in 1989, documented by a volume in Series 2.4.
|191||National Healthcare and Hospital Supply Corporation Minutes Book, 1987-1989|
|192||Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company Minutes Book Volume I, 1958-1973|
|193||Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company Minutes Book Volume II, 1974-1988|
|194||Bergen Brunswig Medical Supply Company Minutes Book Documents, 1958-1985|
|195||Bonus Plan, 1986|
|196||Capital Expenditures, 1982-1987|
|198||Charter Documents, 1958-1985|
|199||Contracts, Purchasing, 1987-1989|
|200||Contracts, Software, 1974-1986|
|201||Contracts, Supplier, 1982-1987|
|202||Internal Audit Reports, 1983-1987|
|203||Labor Agreements, 1984-1985|
|204||Leases, Personal Property 1979-1987|
|206||Pre-sale Financial Plan and Statement, 1987|
|207||Miscellaneous Contracts and Documents, 1985-1987|
|208||Miscellaneous Internal and External Reports, 1986-1987|
|209||Stock Certificates, Cancelled, (Mettler Laboratories Corp.), 1959-1969|
|210||Synergex HS&S, Inc. Minutes Book, 1985-1989|
Series 5.7. Owens & Minor of Minnesota, 1988.
|211||Transhealth, Inc., Acquisition of Certain Assets, 1988|
Series 5.8. Owens & Minor of North Carolina, 1958-1977.
|212||Owens & Minor of North Carolina, Minutes Book, 1958-1977|
|213||Contracts and Materials, 1958-1973|
|214||Financial Statement and Report, 1962, 1965|
Series 5.9. Powers and Anderson, Inc., 1907-1977.
The record of Powers and Anderson, Inc. begins with its incorporation in 1907 by W. Frank Powers and Robert E. Anderson, an Irish immigrant. The business was originally founded in Richmond in 1892 by
Anderson's brother-in-law as a surgical instrument manufacturer and supplier. Anderson and Powers purchased the assets in 1898 and operated a partnership under the name Powers and Anderson Surgical Instruments and Hospital Supplies Co. until incorporation.
Anderson and Powers were both active in the Brotherhood of St. Andrew in Virginia. Anderson also assisted in the organization of the Loan and Savings Corporation which became Southern Bank and Trust Co. in Richmond, and he later became an officer in said company.
Powers & Anderson purchased a dental supply company in 1910, but there are no materials pertaining to Powers & Anderson Dental Company or its branches outside of the minutes of the parent company.
Robert E. Anderson, Jr. joined the board of directors of Powers & Anderson in 1939. Powers died in 1949, and his stake was purchased by the company as per a trust agreement. Anderson, Sr. died in 1954, but the company continued to be owned and operated by the Anderson family. Robert E. Anderson, III joined the board of directors in 1955.
Powers & Anderson Surgical Instrument Co., Inc. of Norfolk, VA was incorporated in 1920 with Powers, Anderson and Herbert A. Inman, the manager of the company, as the principal shareholders. The company took over the Eastern Virginian interests of Powers & Anderson, Inc. Exchanges of inventory between the companies were made at cost plus ten percent. Charles T. Brown, Jr. took over active management of the company after Inman's death in 1957. Mary Zula Cowell acted as Treasurer of the company from 1949 to its sale in 1968.
Powers & Anderson of South Carolina, Inc. was incorporated in 1945 with Powers & Anderson, Inc. as a major stockholder. Louis W. Griffin acted as general manager of the company until its sale in 1970. Corinne H. Griffin acted as treasurer during that period.
The collection does not contain materials concerning Powers & Anderson of North Carolina, Inc.
Owens & Minor purchased a controlling stake in Powers and Anderson, Inc. and Powers and Anderson Surgical Instrument Co., Inc. in 1968 with cash and stock. The terms of the deal gave Anderson, Jr. a large stake in Owens & Minor, but he did not pursue a directorship of the company. Anderson, III would stay on as vice president of Powers & Anderson, Inc. as a subsidiary of Owens & Minor. Owens & Minor purchased Powers & Anderson of South Carolina in 1970.
|215||Powers & Anderson, Inc. Minutes book, 1907-1949|
|216||Powers & Anderson, Inc. Minutes Book, 1949-1977|
|217||Powers & Anderson, Inc. audited statements, 1945-1947|
|218||Powers & Anderson of South Carolina, Inc. Minutes Book, 1945-1977|
|219||Powers & Anderson of South Carolina, Inc. Stock Certificates, Cancelled, 1945-1968|
|220||Powers & Anderson Surgical Instrument Co., Inc. of Norfolk, VA Minutes Book, 1920-1947|
|221||Powers & Anderson Surgical Instrument Co., Inc. of Norfolk, VA Minutes book, 1949-1970|
|222||Powers & Anderson Surgical Instrument Co., Inc. of Norfolk, VA, CPA Reports on Examination, 1936-1946|
Series 5.10. Stuart Medical, Inc., 1973-1992.
Stuart Medical, Inc. was founded in 1951 in Greensburg, Pennsylvania and incorporated in 1959 as Stuart's Drug and Surgical Supply, Inc. The company was purchased by the Hillman family trust controlled by Henry L. Hillman in 1987, and the Hillmans pursued an aggressive acquisition strategy to become the third largest national distributor of medical supplies.
Stuart's Funding Corporation was incorporated in order to facilitate the securitization of the company's assets. The majority of the Stuart Medical, Inc. documents pertain to this securitization program enacted prior to its acquisition by Owens & Minor in 1993. Besides these documents, the collection does not contain any further documentation for the company prior to its acquisition.
Securitization is the conversion of an asset that produces cash flow into a security, or asset-backed security, which is purchasable by investors. The securitization of assets such as accounts receivable, as is the case here, provides an alternative method of financing if standard equity or debt measures would be more expensive or generate less liquidity. Essentially, instead of waiting for clients to settle their accounts, the company passed off the waiting time to investors, at a price, in order to generate cash immediately.
The sales and administration agreement folder also includes a schedule of reporting requirements for the securitization program. The miscellaneous reports and legal opinions folder includes ratings agencies reports on the asset-backed securities produced by the program.
|223||Securitization, Certifications, 1990|
|224||Securitization, Certifications (Capital Markets Assurance Corp.), 1990|
|225||Securitization, Certifications (Distributor, Inc.), 1990|
|226||Securitization, Certifications (Stuart's Funding Corporation), 1990|
|227||Securitization, Collateral Pledge Agreement, 1990|
|228||Securitization, Commercial Paper Agreement and Surety Bond, 1990|
|229||Securitization, Credit Agreements, 1990|
|230||Securitization, Insurance and Indemnity Agreement, 1990|
|231||Securitization, Management and Depositary Agreements, 1990|
|232||Securitization, Modified Contracts with Chemical Bank, 1990|
|233||Securitization, Note Purchase Agreements, 1990|
|234||Securitization, Revised Credit Agreement, 1990|
|235||Securitization, Sales and Administration Agreement, 1990|
|236||Securitization, Miscellaneous Materials/Contracts, 1990|
|237||Securitization, Miscellaneous Reports and Legal Opinions, 1990|
|238||Stock Certificates, Cancelled, (Stuart's Drug & Surgical Supply, Inc.), 1973-1988|
|239||Stock Certificates, Cancelled, Volumes I & II, 1991-1992|
Series 5.11. United Hospital Associates, Inc., 1973-1983.
United Hospital Associates, Inc. launched in 1973 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Owens & Minor. Howard Bush managed the firm which sold drugs to hospitals in the Norfolk, Virginia area. Gil, III explained in the 125th anniversary book that the laws had changed to allow more flexibility to hospitals in how they dispensed their pharmaceuticals, and Bush, through United, pioneered the sales market.
By the time Owens & Minor sold their wholesale drug division in 1992, sales to hospitals accounted for 60 percent of revenue.
|240||United Hospital Associates, Inc., Minutes book, 1973-1983|
Series 5.12. White Surgical Supply Co., Inc., 1944-1977.
White Surgical Supply Co., Inc. was incorporated in 1944 by Dr. C. D. White and four other subscribers. White purchased a property from the Church Street Methodist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1929. He built an office on the lot, 515 W. Church Ave., and operated the company as a sole proprietorship until incorporation.
F. W. Greer joined the company as president in 1960, and White became the chairman of the board. Between 1963 and 1966, White sold his stock in the company, but he continued to act as the chairman.
M. T. Boynton, Jr. became vice president and general manager of the company in 1965, and he would stay on with White Surgical Supply as a subsidiary of Owens & Minor after its acquisition in 1974. Owens & Minor purchased White Surgical for cash and notes. After the purchase of Marks Surgical in 1969, Owens & Minor no longer diluted equity to make acquisitions.
|241||White Surgical Supply Co., Inc., Minutes book, 1944-1977|
Series 6. Historical Materials, 1882-2009.
This series consists of historical materials relating to Owens & Minor dating to the company's founding in 1882. The 125th anniversary book, produced by the company itself, provides a comprehensive history of the company and includes short biographies of important figures in the company's history.
The external publications series includes an almost comprehensive run of the National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, which include transcripts of addresses at the annual meetings.
The background historical materials series was compiled by Phil Minor, including historical research notes about the company and his speeches regarding its history. It also includes typed notes and a select bibliography of additional sources.
Series 6.1. Internal Publications, 1956-2009.
The historical photographs are not described or dated by themselves, but they can be found in the 125th anniversary book with detailed captions. The selected employee newsletters correspond to significant events in the company's recent history: the promotion of Gil Minor, III to president, the move of the corporate office to Innsbrook, and the death of Gil Minor, Jr.
It may be interesting to researchers to note how details of the corporate history change from the 75th anniversary publication in 1956 to more recent histories. The 100th anniversary history includes a great deal of background historical information about medicine and pharmacy not included in the longer 125th anniversary history.
|242||Anniversary History Publications, 1956-1992|
|243||Employee Newsletters, 1981, 1987, 1996|
|244||Historical memo re: marketing strategy, 1968-1973|
|245||Owens & Minor: A History, 125th anniversary history book, 2009|
|246||Photographs described in Owens & Minor: A History, undated|
Series 6.2. External Publications and Clippings, 1882-2007.
Hillier's New Index of Drugs contains very early Owens & Minor advertisements. Several pages in Practical Druggist magazine are damaged or missing, including the page that mentions the Virginia association of pharmacy which seems to have been removed. The Virginia Pharmacist magazine includes an advertisement for Owens & Minor on the inside of the front cover, as well as an article written by Gil, Jr. entitled "Wholesale Drug Distribution in Virginia."
A typical National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook contains pictures and lists of present officers of the association, lists of past officers, transcripts of addresses at annual meetings, committee reports not read in full at the meetings, memorials of members who died, membership lists, and official articles of the association.
|247||Hillier's New Index of Drugs, 1882|
|248||Kleos magazine, 2007|
|249||National Association of wholesaler-distributors Annual survey, 1975|
|250||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1914|
|251||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1926|
|252||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1928|
|253||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1933|
|254||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1934|
|255||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1935|
|256||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1937|
|257||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1939|
|258||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1940|
|259||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1941|
|260||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1942|
|261||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1943|
|262||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1944|
|263||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1945|
|264||National Wholesale Druggists' Association Yearbook, 1946|
|265||Pharmacopoeia of the United States, 1905|
|266||Practical Druggist magazine, 1929|
|267||Virginia Pharmacist magazine, 1966|
|268||Clippings from Phil Minor's History file, 1889-2002|
|269||Notes and bibliography from Phil Minor's History file, 1982-1994|
|270||Photocopies, "old pictures of ads," undated|
|271||Speeches and notes from Phil Minor's History file, 1972-1989|
|272||Speeches and notes from Phil Minor's History file, 1981-2000|
Series 6.4. Memorabilia, 1977-2007, and Audio-Visual materials.
|273||Book of blank Owens & Minor stock certificates and receipts, 1907-1926 (see Oversized)|
|274||Desk Calendar, 2007|
|275||Keys and plate for computer check signer, 1977|
|276||Official Seals for Owens & Minor and Subsidiaries, various dates|