About the Exhibition: Complementing the existing Story of Virginia exhibition which walks visitors through history in a timeline format, the rich cultural overview of Our Commonwealth immerses visitors in the landscapes, foodways, industries, and people that make up this diverse state.
Highlights: Scenic elements and large-scale, slowly changing digital projections called “living murals” frame the narrative footprint of each region to capture the unique essence of Virginians’ relationship with that place. Regionally-inspired lighting treatments and soundscapes complete the effect of bringing guests into the “place” essence of each of the regions.
Digging Deep into Our Commonwealth: Visitors to the exhibition can explore Virginia in many ways, including interactive digital displays that take you on a journey to discover the people, places, history, and culture that make each region unique:
- Take in the delectable cuisine of Tidewater
- Explore one of America’s most diverse communities in Northern Virginia
- Travel through time on Virginia’s historic roads and waterways
- Delight in the music, crafts, and natural beauty of Southwest (and explore regional dance steps)
- Be inspired by the stories of an African American family whose Virginia roots go back nearly 300 years