A collection of architectural plans and drawings, the Edward F. Sinnott, Jr., papers include the records of a father and son partnership. Edward F. Sinnott, Sr., began his architectural career in the 1920s, working with Luther P. Hartsook between 1924 and 1929. Sinnott’s focus was on educational and institutional projects. During World War II, he stopped practicing and instead served as manager of a local USO club. In 1956, Sinnott formed a partnership with his son under the banner Edward Sinnott & Son. Following his father’s retirement and death in 1975, Edward Sinnott, Jr., continued on his own.
The papers in the VMHC's collection date chiefly from Edward Sinnott, Jr.’s career and end around 1987, which is about the time he retired. The collection also includes early Hartsook designs.
Although there are some residential projects, Edward Sinnott, Jr., focused mainly on commercial and multi-family housing projects. He was closely involved in the development of the Willow Lawn and Gayton Crossing areas. Among his clients were Paul Gordon of Paul Gordon Associates and Investors Savings Bank. Both Sinnotts were active in the Catholic Church and consequently designed a number of parochial schools, convents, churches, etc., for area parishes. They also served on the board of trustees of the Mount Calvary Cemetery Association.